Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fawn Lily.

I decided this year to make the twins Christmas dresses be something that could be worn long after the festivities were over.  It took me a while to pick a dress, and in the end I chose what I did due to time.  I was going to go with an Oliver and S Library dress and Apple Picking, but it was quicker to make two of the same, so that is what I did. 

I used the Fawn Lily pattern from Willow and co.  I won the pattern forever ago in a giveaway pack and never got around to using it, or any of the patterns, actually.  I tend to go with ones that I know I can trust the fit/instructions/pdf, etc.  

Let's just say I wasn't in love with the pattern.  I love that it is a unique design, and it did have it's good parts; I love the way the sleeves are constructed to give it a clean finish (even if it was extremely fiddly).  But I didn't love that the lines and notches were very difficult to decipher on my printer, I only have a black and white, basically I had to guess on a few things, and the notches are very important on this pattern.  It didn't really work out.  The tutorial pictures were blurry and it was hard to see any details.  Especially since the view I was working on, the lining and main fabrics were the same.  It would have been very nice to have had the lining a different fabric.  Would I make it again?  Yes, but only when I could devote my full attention to the pattern.

For Elizabeth's, I used a gold and white Riley Blake dot with navy blue piping.  I love the look of the bodice, especially with the piping.  I couldn't find any of this pattern all in one fabric, so I wasn't sure how it would look, but I really do love it.  It is so simple yet still unique.

The back also has piping, and I chose the gathered skirt for both dresses.  Also, both dresses are a 4t.

For Georgia's I used some gold bias tape as I couldn't find any gold piping.  One of the important notches was for lining up the center front bodice, well, my top notch and bottom notches didn't match.  Since I couldn't tell which one I was supposed to be using I had to guess.  The dress is a pretty tight fit to get over both of their heads, I am not sure if it always is or if it was because I probably chose the wrong black notch.

I think I will give the pattern another go, but next time in a couple of fabrics, we will see.  There's quite a bit on my list currently that *needs* to be made first.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Hipster Rudolph.

I am not usually one to make my kids themed holiday clothing, but I couldn't resist this one. I was scrolling through Facebook yesterday morning and came upon a post for a groopdealz Rudolph shirt.  Well, I clicked through to buy it and found out it wouldn't even ship until the 17th.  Not good.  So I quit being lazy and made my own. Theirs was a white short sleeved shirt, that's the benefit of making my own, I could use what I had on hand *and* make it weather appropriate.

I used the Oliver and S Field Trip Raglan in a size 18 month and added cuffs and a waistband because I wanted to be lazy and not have to hem anything... And the pants are a pair of 2T Mini Hudson Pants.  He is still a little too small for the pants, but I have been dying to make him a pair.  Both fabrics are a french terry, I love that stuff.

And this is what happens when I attempt to flat lay in the house... I let him off without a warning because he is pretty adorable.  He was hugging the clothing and trying to put it on.  Sooooo, yeah.

In the end, I am happy I made him a themed shirt this year, and he will just have to wear it nearly every day since I waited so long to make it, haha.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Cheyenne Tunic.

I recently helped Adrianna at Hey June test her newest pattern, the Cheyenne Tunic.  I absolutely love this pattern!

This is View A in tunic length and it was made from the final version of the pattern.  I used a nice chambray from the Gertie line at Jo-Ann, I had been holding on to it for way too long, it was time for it to be used.  The fabric worked great for the pattern.  I even found the perfect gray thread in my stash that blended in perfectly.

During testing Adrianna posted an up close shot, I think she was talking about the collar, but we all admired her perfectly straight stitching.  So the conversation of an edge stitching foot came up, I realized I had bought one probably a year ago meaning to try it on an Archer, but that Archer was never made and the foot never tried out.

I should have tried it sooner, the foot is amazeballs.

I am 5'4" and think this is the perfect length for the tunic.  I am not a leggings kind of gal, but I love wearing this with my skinny jeans.

The pattern includes a 5/8" seam allowance and has written the instructions to include french seams.  Of course the pattern can be made without FS, but seeing all these enclosed seams just makes my inner sewing nerd sing with joy.

The pattern also includes a collar with a collar stand.  This happened to be my first pattern to ever have a collar stand so I was a little intimidated, but it was so easy!

This is the shirt length and was an earlier version of the pattern.  Everything stayed the same, except an additional 2" ease was added to the hips. 

The pattern also has another view with different style collar and a partial placket, also included is a long sleeve with a placket.  I am excited to give another view/option a shot!  I love that there can be so many looks in the same pattern!