Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Classic picnic.

These are what started my back to school sewing, but I have been waiting for modeled pictures to document them here. 

They are Classic Picnic blouses, both in a straight size 5.  Iz measures in, and George is just under a 5.  I love this pattern but it has been forever since I've made them.  I love that these tops seem to last forever, Abby wore her last one for two years.

Both of these were made with Art Gallery prints, I really love the feel and they have the cutest prints.

I was excited to find something that took only one yard, I need to hurry and use my stashes of yard only cuts before it is too late.

These two are going to be super styling kindergartners this fall!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Mini Sutton.

I have started on the kids back to school wardrobe, this year I will have 4 (!!!) in school.  So I figured I better start sooner than later.  

I don't recall how I ran across the mini sutton blouse but I found it recently and couldn't stop thinking about it, so I finally gave in and bought it.

I made a size 5, Izzy (not pictured) measured right in to the 5 and George is a little bit under.  I need to try it on Iz before I cut another one, but she fell asleep after dinner so that was a no-go tonight.

It is a really simple pattern to put together, even still I managed to make a bunch of stupid mistakes.

The sleeves and neck are finished with bias tape and there are instructions for french seams on the shoulder and front.

I didn't get a great picture of the buttons, but I used these cute black and white stripe buttons, a subtle pattern mixing that makes me happy.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016


I should call this dress #madeforkidsmonth made me do it.  I saw the Mingo + Grace Charlie dress pop up a couple of times already and loved it immediately.  But I wasn't sure I 'needed' another pattern.  I saw a gorgeous chambray version and was sold.  

I used some gorgeous Woodland Clearing lawn I picked up from Raspberry Creek Fabric. Diana was kind enough to bring it in when I requested it, and I have been hoarding it waiting for the perfect project. 

I made a size 5, Iz is just starting to measure in to a 5 in some patterns, and things lasting longer is never a bad thing.

On the hanger I wasn't too sure I liked the dress, but once she put it on it was love.  I love the way it swings and moves.

I did change up a few things, mostly construction to give it a cleaner finish and I made the bias tape 1 1/2" rather than the 1" suggested, personal preference things.  I definitely plan to make this one again, though.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Square neck dress.

I made the square neck dress from happy homemade a while back and loved it.  It has long since been outgrown, so it was time for another one.

This is the size 4-6 in a Robert Kaufman gingham.  I originally bought the gingham thinking of a top for me, but it is heavier than I thought it would be, so it wouldn't work for what I wanted.  But, it is perfect for this little dress.

Some days I get loads of adorable photos in all angles, and other days I am lucky to come out with one out of fifty.  So, this will have to suffice, haha.

The only thing I may change next time, is to make the bias binding around the arm holes and back opening a little wider.  It says to cut it out one inch wide, and it gives a beautiful, dainty look, but it is pretty fiddly. Even adding just a half inch would be a lot easier to work with, I think.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016


I made a bunch of graphics up last week, Abby promptly claimed this one as her own.  She loves the song and thinks the saying is hilarious.

She is on the verge of outgrowing her other pairs of City Gym Shorts so new ones were in order.  I was debating what to do, she is out of the kid sizing, but not yet in the women's sizes.  I taped both sets together to compare the biggest kid size and smallest women's size and noticed there wasn't a ton of difference, so I took a chance on the smallest women's.  The fit really well!  She is thrilled and has requested more for the summer.

The shirt is currently in testing, but it is excellent.  It is from Hey June and is basically the Union's little sister.  This is the size 12.

Ribbon tied blouse.

I flipped through my Happy Homemade determined to make something, I made the square neck blouse a few years ago and then set the book aside.  It was time to take a look again.  

I picked the Ribbon Tied Blouse, view C.  I made a size 4-6 in a light and airy Art Gallery print.  I love the feel of these fabrics, and they are a lot lighter than regular quilting cottons, so they are nice to use for garments.  Well, at least for kids.

The front has quite a bit of gathering, but the back is just barely gathered.  The sleeves are also slightly gathered, giving them a cute little puffy shape.

 I love the silhouette of the blouse.  Iz was very excited to see it and wear it right away.

I also paired it with some well loved Oliver and S Puppet Show Shorts.  I will be so sad when they size out of this pattern.

Monday, May 23, 2016

KCW day one.

I have been sewing quite a bit of knits lately (documented on Instagram since I am horrible at blogging lately), I was dying for a nice woven sew.

I this gorgeous Art Gallery I found in a local shop.  I have long loved this one and was so excited to see it in person.

I made an Oliver and S Playtime dress in a size 5 with some mods.  I left off the sleeves and lined the bodice, I love this one as a summer dress.  Even though I am still sewing the girls a size 4 in most things, I find this one can be a little tight to get on and off at this point.  Elizabeth is on the verge of a 5, and I figured a little big is never a bad thing with the rate kids grow.

I have managed to misplace my buttonhole foot, so snaps it was.  Turns out it was practically fate, I had the almost exact green snaps in my stash.

She loves it and I know it will get a ton of wear this summer.