Monday, September 29, 2014

A Washi.

I knocked out two more projects for Selfish Sewing Week, though technically one was finished up today, so after the "official" week, but I still gonna count it because I am a rebel.  And it kind of wasn't totally my fault.  You see, I broke my no night sewing rule Friday night because I had made a Washi muslin earlier in the day and was dying to cut in to my good fabric.  My machine started acting up and making a weird noise but I soldiered on anyways, well... That was a bad idea.  My machine totally jammed and Ben actually had to break the needle to get my dress out of the machine. So Saturday morning my machine went to the man with the magic fixing skills. 

My sewing closet was a sad, sorry sight so I ripped it apart to clean it as Ben took my machine to town.  The guy was super awesome and got it fixed within a few hours (how's that for service?!).  I couldn't sew, though, because between Sam and putting my closet back together there just wasn't any time.  So, today I finished. 

I have had this pattern for forever, as soon as it was released in paper form I bought it up, and it sat and sat.  Now that the baby is no longer in my belly I figured it was time to try it out, so I grabbed up some random fabric in my stash and researched.  I noticed a lot of gals with, ahem, bigger chests found they needed to lower the bodice.  I first made the bodice without lowering, but adding a FBA, and it was too high, so this was my second attempt.  For reference, I added 1 1/2".  I like the fit, but I am not sure I would wear this print as it isn't really my style, but it is a nearly finished shirt- maybe I should just finish and try it out!  

So here is my "real" one.  Side note, have y'all ever felt the Art Gallery prints?  They are amazeballs!  Seriously, such a great feel and a great drape for a quilting cotton.  The lady at my local shop said they are a Pima cotton and 600 thread count.  I used one of their prints for Iz's Library Dress and just loved it, so I knew it would work well for this top.

I added 2" to the length, though I forgot to add it to my front pattern piece when I traced it so I forgot to add it on this one, hence the band at the bottom of the top going side to side instead of up and down.  I think I want to add a bit more length next time to be able to wear it with leggings.

I did a FBA using the method in the Weekend Getaway since it worked so well and was so easy when I made it last.  I can not for the life of me get the darts to not point, it is really driving me crazy. I also had that problem on the muslin.

I felt like a rockstar when I steamed the shirring lines and they shrunk right up, definitely worth the half hour it took to figure out the setting for my machine.  

 I used the Tova sleeves as I have seen others do.   They barely needed to be eased in, but when I used a 1/2" SA I found that it restricted my movement too much and made the top pretty much unwearable.  I unpicked (including the serged seams, that was a beast) and used 1/4" instead.  It is still a little tight, but not unwearable.

I think I need me a good kid sewing fix, they are so much easier, ha!  No muslins (for the most part) and no weird body issues that need to be taken in to account.  Plus I have a few baby gifts to make, one for a shower this weekend and one for a birth I missed making for due to Sam being itty bitty and no sewing time.  But, I have caught the bug and will start adding myself to the rotation.

1 comment:

  1. The top looks fabulous on you, pretty lady! I love the print that you used.