Walking through the store today, I noticed they were already starting to bring out the school supplies. I have a bit of an obsession with school supplies, especially a brand new box of crayons. We took home notebooks, markers, crayons (duh) and a new backpack for Abby since her's broke at the end of last year.
Then, while Sam was napping I sat down and started a list of things to make that I had been previously compiling in my head. Mostly things that 'need' to be made soon (swim bottoms for Abby's and Jack's trip to Lake Powell this weekend) or things I already have a fabric and pattern planned. I want to make my list then plug them in to my rota Hugo so kindly made for me. Turns out so far it's mostly things for the girls, and mostly for the little girls, ha! But they still get so excited for me to make them things and will wear mama mades over store bought every day if possible. Plus, they love dresses. And dresses are just so fun to make.
So I decided, why plan when I can make? Sam was still asleep and the kids were occupied with their notebooks and crayons, so twenty minutes later I was sewing up the last stitch of my hem. It doesn't hurt that I chose the dead easiest project on my list, ha!
I can't wait for the fall, I am already dreaming of it. So, this is how I see this outfit in my head, and Elizabeth was kind enough to humor me with posing for a minute in a denim jacket. Luckily it was a cool 90* rather than the 110*+ we had the last week or so. A storm is rolling in, thank goodness. (Actually as I went to hit 'post' it started to rain! So needed here in our part of the desert)
My local shop (as in, I could very easily walk to it) carries Art Gallery for $8/yd, it is seriously amazing, and they have such a great selection. This last time I went in, they had this one off bolt of Cotton + Steel, I was so excited! That means this little number only cost me $4! Well, plus elastic.
The print was impossible to line up at the back seam, so I am trying to not let it bug me. I just made a simple elastic skirt. I measured the length I wanted it to be, added 2" and used the full width of the fabric.
One checked off the list so far, on to the next.