Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Super secret agent.

Sometimes a secret agent wants to stand out just a bit, ya know, be not so secret....

So I hate the changes on facebook, the ones that cause pictures and statuses that your friends comment on to pop up in your feed, but in this case it was a good thing!! So I saw this coat pop up in my feed and immediately thought of the new Oliver + s secret agent trench coat.  My pattern arrived on Monday and so I went out to buy fabric that night after the kiddies all went to sleep, washed it that night, altered my pattern pieces Tuesday morning, cut the fabric before nap time, and had most of it sewn up by the time naps were over.  Then I finished it up during the first bit of their nap today.  (p.s. I was so humbled and greatful for the amazing response to my WIP shot, thank you all for your support!!) 




Ah, the buttons... I misplaced a bunch of them... I ripped my house apart this morning with no luck. Sigh.  I used 3/4" on the front of the coat and 5/8" on the sleeves, so slightly smaller.  The coat is off white, btw.




Here is a full shot of the back.  I really love my inspiration coat, but I wanted to make it my own, so I went with 4 layers of ruffles.




Sorry, this color didn't photograph the details well.  Here is a close up of the ruffles (duh).  A friend pointed out the O+S was a drop waist coat while my inspiration was not, so I raised that a bit.  Not quite sure if it was enough as I don't have anyone in the house in this size. 




I promise my buttons were on straight!! Apparently the coat was crooked on the back of my chair and I was too lazy to go take another picture, ha!  I also pleated rather than gathered, again to compliment my inspiration trench. 


Never fear my fellow O+S junkies, I am straightening out a few kinks I had with this one and will take pictures and do a tutorial for my next one.  (Kinks in my alterations, not the original pattern!)  I make no promises that you will understand my not-technical terms or my jumbled way of explaining things, but I will try my hardest! ;)  So, until we meet again, farewell!


***Update, here is the tutorial for how I modified the coat!***

(Update #2, here are modeled shots)

14 comments:

  1. You really did an amazing job with this, Brittney - and am looking forward to your so no technical tutorial (cause I really think that Lucy needs one like this.... :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nothing short of amazing! I will be sitting on pins and needles until the tutorial is done!! I will have to go buy my fabric and buttons now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is almost the best part! (the fabric & button shopping;)

      Delete
  3. Its just fabulous!
    I can't wait to see it modelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see if my SIL will let me do a pic with her head cropped to show the fit:)

      Delete
  4. You knocked this out of the ball park! It's a fabulous jacket.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so so fabulous! Love the ruffles and the purple buttons! Can't wait to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazingly awesome. I saw it first on pintrest. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete