Thursday, February 26, 2015

Field Trips for the whole family.



Spring is coming!  (or in our case, is basically here)  Which means, of course, that the kids need warmer weather clothing.  Enter, one of my top 5 favorite patterns, the Oliver + S Field Trip Raglan.

I am making an effort to make things with the kids input, it is a struggle (haha).  But if I want Abby to wear it, she needs to have a say.  Jack is still pretty easy going, and the twins will wear whatever I make, but they do have color preferences.


And an obligatory photo of all five of them in their new tops.  Getting that many little kids to look at you (and not make bunny ears) is a challenge.

I recently (as in today) counted up the number of times I have made this pattern, and the number very much surprised me.  Counting these, I have made the tops 34 times and the pants 4 times, one being shorts.  I don't know why it surprises me, I have a ton of kids, haha. I also have two more tops cut for the baby and two pairs of shorts for Jack. Talk about a TNT, not to mention getting my monies worth many times over.



Georgia's favorite color is purple, so this one was a no-brainer.  I made a size 4 so the girls could share, but let's be honest, there's no way she will let Iz wear this one.  So I could have done a 3, but it is easier to just make the size already traced.


Abby, oh Abby.  She has decided she only wants to wear knits, so most of my patterns are now out of the question.  I don't know why I haven't thought to show her this one before, but she was SO excited.  I gave her a few options, this is what she chose.

Hers is a size 10 with 12 length.  She has requested more, so I told her she could use the line drawings Lotta put together to design some more tops.  That will make it easier for me to sew for her, as I will have an idea of the colors and prints she likes, etc.


Jack, he's my easy one.  He is currently obsessed with Minecraft (what kid isn't?) and requested a Minecraft shirt.  I gave him the option of green sleeves or a different color, he chose gray.  I have to admit, I was trying to steer him towards green, but I like the way this came out.  My lines aren't straight enough for my liking, so I will go back and fix them after it gets put in the laundry.

His is a size 7.  He is still wearing his 4 with length, so I knew this would fit for a while.  He is also wearing his mini hudsons, he is obsessed with them, who can blame him?  They are so soft.  He even wore him to school the other day, even though he swore he never would.


Sammy is wearing a size 12 month and also his sandbox pants.  Poor little guy has been sick all week and now is super drooly, I am wondering (worrying) if he is getting another tooth.  He is up to 8 already!  Speaking of 8, he is 8 months old today!


Elizabeth, girlfriend has a style all her own.  She loves all the animals on this print and kept asking if I was done yet.  Hers is a size 4.

A combination of everyone (except George, knock on wood) being sick this week and Ben working out of town made these really slow going.  I can typically knock one out in about 25 minutes from cutting fabric to the last stitch, so the kids were really anxious for these by the fourth day.  The squeals of delight and declarations of love made all the waiting worth it, though, they were each so excited to try theirs on.

14 comments:

  1. Love all of these and how they each match the owner. I hope that Abby enjoys designing her own tees - she's getting to 'that' age I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing for making all these tees for your kids! Did you use a serger? I'm debating buying one - i'm a beginner but would really like to make projects like this for my kids and myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, thanks! I actually do these both on my serger and regular machine. I need to figure out my tensions better to keep from seeing the serger threads in the side seams when stretched. But I absolutely love my serger and recommend one, it gives such a nice finish especially on wovens.

      Delete
    2. I find my seams are tighter (less show on the outside) if I crank up the upper looper tension relative to the others.

      Delete
    3. Awesome Inder! I will give that a try.

      Delete
  3. These are great!!! I love the little printed pocket on the plain shirt. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe I haven't done it with the pocket more often.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful happy (albeit sick) bunch of kids. I love your Field Trip tees and it was great to see you on the Oliver + S blog.
    George's black eye is coming along nicely! Piers had a lump removed surgically from one eyebrow just before Christmas and developed a beautiful rainbow of a black eye! Everyone looks twice at you in the supermarket when your kid has a shiner.
    Eight teeth at 8 months?! Wow. Mine were both almost 11 months before they got a single one, yet got that rashy red cheek thing from about 3 months. That meant 7 months of well meaning people saying " ah, poor dear is teething"! Eventually I just started nodding and saying I guess so.
    Anyway, rambling. You sew beautifully and have gorgeous kids.
    The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, and ramble on;) Jack was embarrassed to go places because he didn't want to answer questions about it, silly kid. We tried to tell him it made him look tough.
      Sam has eczema, which is what is causing his red cheeks, I can't wait for warmer weather as it gets worse in the cold (at least for him).

      Delete
  5. Where did you find those cute knits? I haven't tried the Field Trip Raglan yet but have made several School Bus tees for my little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had pretty good luck finding cute prints at our local Joanns, the doodles line is really fun. Though, it shrinks a lot more than most knits I have found so I always make sure to wash it a few extra times before sewing. I also like girlcharlee, their jersey spandex is pretty nice and my local shop carries Riley Blake knits. The RB knits are more expensive, but are worth it! They come in great colors and prints and hold up really well.

      Delete