Thursday, June 28, 2012

Birthday sewing.

Abby's birthday is coming up next week and I decided to make her new clothes to go with her Lalaloopsy doll.  I love how oblivious my kids are to my sewing at this point, I made every single one of these with her at home, and pretty much in the same room the whole time.  She never asked what I was making and I was careful to not let her see anything that would give it away.  Hm, guess she might have known, but I will pretend like she didn't. 

So I made a little of everything, and tried to find fun trims to add. Store bought Lalaloopsy clothing is very whimsical, so I attemtped to go for that look with some ric rac and lace.  Not quite the same, but oh well. And all of the fabric was from my scrap basket, so yay for stash busting!



The skirts were just my guesstimate, and I made them way too big in the beginning, I kept trying it on the doll and cutting more off.  I think I ended up going with a width of 13 inches on the skirt and 5 or 6 inches on the elastic for them.  (in case anyone else has a doll to make skirts for;) The shirt is a shorter version of the dresses below.


You can't really tell, but the top one has white ric rac around the middle. The pattern was a free one from here  .  She got the doll for Christmas and made her a few of this style back then and she really liked them.


So, the pants.  I made a pair out of a scrap of stretch denim, and I love them!! The capris need a top (as does the pink skirt), but the doll has been misplaced and I want to try it on the doll before I sew the lace on as I only have a small scrap left.  The pattern comes from here.



And this one is my favorite. Save the best for last, right? ;) If you thought baby sleeves were hard, you haven't made doll sleeves before!! I also made one in this style for Christmas, but I made it sleeveless and only one skirt.  The pattern is from here.

I just love the shape that the tulle gives to the dress. And it is on a doll, so no whinning about it being scratchy or having to add another lining, ha!

1 comment:

  1. I love the shape that the tulle gives to the dress too! My kids are fairly oblivious to what I'm sewing too...except when I'm trying to make one of them a gift.:). I'm sure Abby will be delighted with her doll's new clothes.

    ReplyDelete