Friday, July 12, 2013

A hopscotch knock off, dolly style.

Abby has been having so much fun playing with her new doll clothes, I searched pinterest for some inspiration and ran across this gem. Doesn't it remind you of the hopscotch skirt by Oliver + S?? My mind immediately began spinning, and I came up with what I think is a pretty close rendition- in dolly size of course.

Cute, eh?  This is actually my second one, the first I wasn't quite satisfied with (I'll get to that later).  I modified the Liberty Jane free shirt by eyeballing my big kid size pieces.  Not completely satisfied with it, it's quite baggy and the front didn't end up having enough to gather like the real one.  (it is folded up in the picture to show the skirt better)

This was my original try.  The pockets ended up a little too narrow, and I pretty much just hated this material, it is a cotton I picked up to try out- glad  I didn't use it for a kids garment, it has a weird feel, and that is what I was worried about. 

Okay, back to the better one (in my opinion).  Do you want to make one of your own??  Yay!  I'll assume you have the Oliver and S pattern then and give the measurement and pattern piece numbers.  Sorry, I didn't take the time to do a tutorial, this was a quick break in between 10 (yes 10!!) maxi skirts that I am working on.  No, not all for me... Sadly... ;)  they are very comfy!

Piece 1:  front skirt, width 5", length 6"- cut 2
Piece 2: back skirt, width 10", length 71/2"- cut 1
Piece 3: front placket, width 2", length 6"- cut 2
Piece 4: front waistband, width 2", length 7"- cut 2

I skipped the pockets the second time around because I was in a hurry.  For the first one, I again just eyeballed the shape of the pattern piece and played around folding the paper until I *thought* I had what I wanted.  One of these days I will try again. 

I used a 1/4" seam allowance, and pretty much folded my pieces over with what "felt right".  Sorry, not very scientific, some spots (like the front waistband raw edges, placket raw edges) I folded over 1/4".  The placket top I think was closer to 1/2", again, what ever made it look "right".  Oh, and this is a 18" doll, in case you couldn't tell:)  If anything wasn't clear, which  I wouldn't be surprised, I will gladly answer in the comment section! 


  1. Thanks a ton Brittany!! I have marked this and will be using it!

  2. So cute, Brittney! I'll have to give it a try for MG and BK's dolls.:)