Saturday, May 26, 2012

Zephyr sundress.

I just finished up my first Figgy's Zephyr sundress  , and as with (nearly) all of my new patterns, I am totally in love!  It is hanging on the back of my sewing chair (that happens to be in my dining room, that also happens to be visible from the chair I am on in the front room) and I can't stop staring at it!  It is just so soft and feminine.  So, honestly, I don't think I realized there was a sundress option when I purchased the pattern, I bought it for the twins' originally and didn't know if I would even bother with it for Abby.  Then I saw the sundress.  So the first chance I had (after too many weeks of editing photos in my "free" ((aka sewing)) time) I sat down to make it.  And while I was on the fence about the romper for her, after seeing Millie's on flickr, I think I just may have to give it a whirl!  Aaaand, the twins probably wont fit in it this summer, boo!

Anyways, on to the dress!!


She was such a trooper, it was sooo windy this morning and she wasn't feeling well, so I spent about three minutes outside and snapped as fast as I could.  I made the size 6/7 and originally had it at the 8/9 length as I usually have to add length to all of my patterns since my kids are freakishly tall, but it hit mid calf and it looked too nightgown-ish (thanks for all the opinions on flickr! I really am glad I went with shorter). 




Apparently I don't read directions well, though I swear it said to put two button loops, the drawings on the package and Figgy's finished product only have one button on the sundress.  But I like it like this!


Ah, the straps.  This is one of the details that first caught my eye!  The pattern has an awesome trick for turning tubes and I will definitely be using that method for every fabric tube I have to turn!  I braided them pretty tight apparently, and had just barely length suggested for the straps. 

The bodice is made from quilting cotton and the dress is a lightweight cotton, nice and breezey.  Have you bought the pattern yet?? You definitely should!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. Your daughter is gorgeous and so is the dress!
    Side Note; two button detail: When I made the dresses for the photo shoot I kept making them with one button and just not thinking of how we instructed using two (woops). I think is was just me tired b/c it was the 16th garment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! hehe! That makes perfect sense! I think I will make one with one button also, as I like the way that looks too!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful dress on her! The colors are perfect for her. I need to buy this patten now after seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a great pattern, you really should:)

      Delete
  3. Its gorgeous!
    I didn't realise about the sundress either....lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! I think the length that you ended up going with is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress! Especially those braided straps! What a lovely, pretty, subtle little detail (my favorite kind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love subtle details. The straps were what initially drew me to the pattern.

      Delete