Saturday, August 23, 2014

Jeans.

Duuude!  I totally just made legit jeans, and I am so excited! 


And obviously so is Sam, ha! 

Back in March I bought the Small Fry Skinny Jeans (I remember it was March because we were on our first ever beach vacation, random, I know).  I bought both sizes ranges and mental noted I wanted to make them for the fall, I figured I would make a small size before tackling Abby or Jack's size.  So I made the size 3-6 month for Sam, with a half fly and lots of topstitching.  I actually used the waistband with the topstitching option, but I was so fed up with the topstitching thread by the time I got to the waistband I just did my own thing.  Which is also why I used a snap instead of a legit jean button, I had no desire to make a button hole with that thread, also the reason I left off the button loops.  My machine is such a diva.

The fit is awesome.  Seriously, this pattern is so great.  I did struggle a bit with the half fly instructions, but I figured it out and it will be much easier next time.  (I already have a red pair cut for him!) 

P.S. he is wearing his Layette Bodysuit I made before he was born.


See that ugly stitching on the inside?  That isn't even the half of it.  *Sigh*.  My machine seriously hated the thread, even with a longer stitch and a denim needle.  

But look at that adorable little coin pocket, and fully functioning front and back pockets... not that he will be needing them, ha!  Details are my favorite part.



I am not thrilled with the back vertical stitching, but I had no desire to unpick it for a third time and I was sick of my machine getting jammed.  I figure since he is laying on his back for 90% of the day no one will even notice (hopefully). 

They are plenty long, long enough that I should probably roll them up, but I am glad because I forgot to check if I needed to add length like I usually do for my crazy tall kids.  

It's a great pattern, I would definitely recommend it.  

8 comments:

  1. The jeans turned out really well.Totally awesome! Love that coin pocket.
    Too bad about your topstitching fiasco. I've had the same issue with different machines over the years and despite following everyone's well meaning tips and tricks using topstitching thread never works perfectly for me. Plus that, sometimes the stitching comes apart in the wash. Two spools of thread going through a topstitching or jeans needle works the best I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I will give that a shot next time (and there will be a next time!)

      Delete
  2. I left a comment this morning which got eaten up!
    You have convinced me to try this pattern, anything that is generous in length is a good pattern to have for my girl. I have the Fancy Pants leggings pattern and am so impressed with the way the PDF came together that I am sure this will be good too.
    Sam looks adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make this one! They would look adorable in it.

      Delete
  3. Your jeans look amazing! The topstitching on them is fantastic, despite the problems you were having. Your son looks so cute in them. I'm really happy to hear you like pattern so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the hassle;) Thanks! And thanks for making a fab pattern.

      Delete
  4. My machine LOATHES topstitching thread as well! I doubt I will ever try that again - that's how bad it was. These are incredible jeans, though, and I have to admit, the top stitching looks freaking amazing. Sigh. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it once before for a pair of Field Trip Cargos, I must have forgotten how much I hated it because once I started on these I remembered how bad the last go was. I can say now that it was worth it, but I did say some pretty nasty cuss words at the time, ha!

      Delete