Saturday, December 12, 2015

Fawn Lily.

I decided this year to make the twins Christmas dresses be something that could be worn long after the festivities were over.  It took me a while to pick a dress, and in the end I chose what I did due to time.  I was going to go with an Oliver and S Library dress and Apple Picking, but it was quicker to make two of the same, so that is what I did. 


I used the Fawn Lily pattern from Willow and co.  I won the pattern forever ago in a giveaway pack and never got around to using it, or any of the patterns, actually.  I tend to go with ones that I know I can trust the fit/instructions/pdf, etc.  

Let's just say I wasn't in love with the pattern.  I love that it is a unique design, and it did have it's good parts; I love the way the sleeves are constructed to give it a clean finish (even if it was extremely fiddly).  But I didn't love that the lines and notches were very difficult to decipher on my printer, I only have a black and white, basically I had to guess on a few things, and the notches are very important on this pattern.  It didn't really work out.  The tutorial pictures were blurry and it was hard to see any details.  Especially since the view I was working on, the lining and main fabrics were the same.  It would have been very nice to have had the lining a different fabric.  Would I make it again?  Yes, but only when I could devote my full attention to the pattern.


For Elizabeth's, I used a gold and white Riley Blake dot with navy blue piping.  I love the look of the bodice, especially with the piping.  I couldn't find any of this pattern all in one fabric, so I wasn't sure how it would look, but I really do love it.  It is so simple yet still unique.


The back also has piping, and I chose the gathered skirt for both dresses.  Also, both dresses are a 4t.


For Georgia's I used some gold bias tape as I couldn't find any gold piping.  One of the important notches was for lining up the center front bodice, well, my top notch and bottom notches didn't match.  Since I couldn't tell which one I was supposed to be using I had to guess.  The dress is a pretty tight fit to get over both of their heads, I am not sure if it always is or if it was because I probably chose the wrong black notch.

I think I will give the pattern another go, but next time in a couple of fabrics, we will see.  There's quite a bit on my list currently that *needs* to be made first.

1 comment:

  1. The dresses turned out so cute, and I think you really nailed your goal of holiday-appropriate but seasonless. Sorry to hear that the pattern was less than stellar though - when I saw the first photo I thought "I am definitely going to get this pattern," but yeah, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete