Sunday, October 5, 2014

Itty bitty Sketchbook set.

I had a baby shower to attend this weekend, so a tiny outfit was begging to be sewn.  Don't mention that I knew about this shower for close to a month and was literally finishing up 30 minutes before it started, that's just how I  roll.  

I don't know her very well, but her mother was Ben's aunt for a little while and her brother is Ben's best friend, so I for sure wanted to make her something.  But without knowing her style it was kind of hard to choose, in the end I went with a classic little boy look and something I would dress my boys in.  In fact, I almost wanted to keep it for Sam, ha! 


I made the Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt + Shorts in a gray bottom weight (denim, I think...) and a plaid seersucker-ish material.  I pretty much ironed the crap out of the shirt so it lost it's seersucker look and I didn't have time to throw it in the wash like I normally would before giving it away (I usually like to wash baby items in dreft so they are ready to wear), but I thought the material would work well since it didn't necessarily need to be ironed, most new moms probably don't want a gift that needs to be ironed, right?


I love the fun and subtle details in boys clothing.   I cut the placket and pocket on the bias, added a bit of bias tape to the pocket and snaps- because snaps on baby clothing are the bomb diggity.  So much easier than buttons when they want to be wiggly.

I loved making this shirt.  The yoke construction at first left me scratching my head, but once I figured it out I felt like a rock star! I can't wait to make this one again.


Ugh, my iron job sucked and I was trying to sneak a few pics in as quickly as possible.

I tried out my piping foot that I have had for forever, I probably shouldn't have used it on a gift for my first go.  The right side is a little too narrow.


I didn't have a matching gray thread, just lighter or darker, so we are going to pretend it was a design feature rather than my procrastination and laziness that led to this look.  I used my stretch stitch to get a more defined look since I hate topstitching thread but love the look.

Hopefully she liked it!  I had to leave before the gift opening as Sam was fussy.  And now I can't wait for Sam to fit the 6 month range!!  

3 comments:

  1. I'll bet when she opened the gift she thought it was store bought. Outfit looks totally professional and super cute too.
    Good idea to use the stretch stitch. It worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely darling outfit, Britt! I love the colors of the fabrics and all the special details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be utterly thrilled to receive that gift let alone know the artisan sewed it with a tiny baby.

    ReplyDelete